The number of GPS devices being attached to cars has risen drastically over the past few years, and auto tracking is somewhat common. If you suspect that someone has hidden a GPS tracking device on your car, you may be able to find it – on the flip side, most of these trackers are so well hidden that they are impossible to find. Here are some ways that you can find a GPS tracker on your vehicle.
1. Bring your vehicle to a trusted mechanic with GPS experience. Ask this person to check your car thoroughly, and to make sure that everything about your car is functioning properly. If a tracker has not been installed correctly, it will be easy to find.
2. Look carefully at the metal parts of your vehicle. Many GPS devices are attached to solid metal portions of a car or truck, so this is where your search should begin.
3. Search for a device that’s as small as a pack of cards. Some GPS devices are much larger, but most can fit inside of your fist.
4. Use your hand to search inside of your trunk. Often, the best way to find a tracker is to run your hands along the underside of a car or inside of your trunk.
5. Purchase a Technical Surveillance Counter Measures device. These devices are on the pricey side, but they will detect any GPS tracker that has been hard-wired into your car’s battery or elsewhere inside of your vehicle.
Blyton Park Track Day
CC Image courtesy of Igniseus via Flickr.
Is It Legal to Track Someone’s Car?
This is a tough question to answer, though it’s one of the most popular GPS-related questions asked. Technically, you can track a vehicle if you are the sole owner of that vehicle (it can’t be shared or owned by anyone else). You can also track a vehicle if that vehicle will be used by employees (and you own it), but you must tell employees before you install a GPS tracking device – the same goes for any car that you intend to rent to someone else (notification must be given).
All of that said, every state has different laws that pertain to auto tracking and GPS car tracking devices. It’s best to find out what those laws are, and then think about whether or not you are within your legal rights to track a vehicle. If you are within your rights, you should have a GPS tracker professionally installed, so that the device is not easily detectable. Even if you notify drivers that a vehicle is being tracked, you don’t want someone to be able to simply remove that device. The best way to install a tracker is to have the device hard-wired into your car by an expert team.
It should also be noted that anything contained in this article should not be taken as legal advice.
Rocky Mountain Tracking’s Services
Our professional trained GPS-tracking staff can help you install a GPS tracker on any vehicle. We also offer fleet tracking options, so that you can track an entire fleet of vehicles. Our devices can be hard-wired into any car or truck, and we also offer devices that can be simply attached to the outside of any vehicle. To determine what the best GPS car tracking device is for your company or personal vehicle, call one of our team members today. We’re more than happy to go over the various auto tracking options that we have for you.
As far as finding a hard-wired GPS tracker goes, our best advice is to take your vehicle to a mechanic or purchase the aforementioned device. Some trackers are hard to find without the help of a professional. If you want to install a tracker, call us today at (888) 242-0500, and feel free to leave us any questions you have below this blog post or on our Facebook page.Categories: Car Tracking , Vehicle Tracking
Tags: auto tracking , Car Tracking